There’s no better way to explain that laptops with the touch screen feature are sleek. The touch screen serves as an alternative to using your keyboard and dragging your cursor all about your laptop. However, if you do not know how to turn off the touch screen feature yet are low on power, that’s a problem.
Turning off your touch screen can effectively restrict its access between periods of heavy use and is especially beneficial when traveling or when there are others in the vicinity who can damage the screen because of incorrect use.
About HP Devices
The HP brand is one of the renowned consumer electronics brands in the market today. You can get the most out of performance, design, and new features with its top-of-the-line laptop devices, including Chromebook and PC. A touchscreen on your laptop may appear to be an unnecessary extra cost.
However, it is a good alternative for trying something new now and then.
Why Would You Want to Turn Off Touch Screen on your HP?
There are a plethora of reasons that may spur you to turn off the touch screen on your Hp, either temporarily or permanently. One reason is running into a mechanical fault that requires troubleshooting. If such happens, touchscreen inputs would end up becoming terrible.
In this case, turning off your touch screen would be the best step to take, if you want to keep your device in use while you wait for a proper repair.
You might also be unaware of the fact that your touchscreen drains your battery life, and turning it off will help you save some of it. Another thing most people who use the HP touchscreen experience is the ‘ghost touch’. It happens when the device seems to react to an invisible finger, even when no one is touching the screen. So, when it happens, it makes it difficult to manage the device. Hence, turning off the touch screen would be of great help.
Read Also: How To Split Screen on Chromebook | Simple Steps
How To Turn Off Touch Screen on HP | Easiest Way
There are several approaches you can take to turn off the touch screen on HP depending on your level of familiarity with altering settings and whether you want the touch screen feature off temporarily or permanently.
Deactivate Using the Search Bar
Using this technique, you can locate the Windows search bar next to the Start button on your HP computer. Since this is a frequently used feature of Windows, you can relate to this method regardless of your level of experience.
To get started, do:
- To the right of your Start button, look for the Search bar. If you can’t find it, look for the little magnifying glass next to the Windows logo.
- In the search bar, type ‘device management‘ and press Enter
- From the list of options, select Device Manager.
- Choose Human Interface Devices
- Choose a touchscreen display
- Select Disable device from the section dropdown or right-click
- If a confirmation box appears, select ‘yes‘ to continue
Check to see that your touch screen is turned off. If not, look up your model number and contact customer service to assist.
Get Direct Access Using the Hotkeys or Start Menu
This method is like the previous one and may even be easier, especially if you don’t use your search bar or wish to learn a new hotkey combination.
- Simply right-click on the Start button while holding down the Windows and X keys.
- From the dropdown menu in the lower-left corner of your desktop, select Device Manager
- Choose Human Interface Devices
- From the sub-menu, choose your touchscreen display
- Select disable the device from the action dropdown or right-click
- If a confirmation box appears, select yes to continue
- To confirm that it has been successfully deactivated, use your touch screen.
You can repeat this process if you wish to turn the touch screen back on. However, if you’re having a difficult time turning the touch screen off, contact the customer care team for your Hp computer.
Read Also: How To Turn Off Touch Screen on HP | Easiest Way
Turn Off the Touch Screen in the BIOS
You must turn off your computer and continually press the F2 or F10 keys as the computer boots up. The correct button to push depends on the hardware in your HP laptop. However, it should be indicated on the screen briefly when the computer is booting up.
- Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to pick the ‘Advanced’ BIOS tab once you’re in the BIOS menu. Depending on your laptop model, choose system properties, device options, or keyboard/ mouse features
- Highlight the Enable/Disable option once you’ve found the touchscreen device’s line
- To select ‘disable, press the enter key
- On your keyboard, press the ‘Escape’ key
- To return to the root BIOS menu, use the Escape key on your keyboard. Select the ‘Save changes and Exit’ option from the ‘Exit’ menu.
This should turn off the touch screen on your HP computer.
Turn Off the Touch Screen from the HP Utility Application
- Select the control panel from the start menu
- Go to hardware and sound
- Scroll down to HP touch screen configuration and click it
- Make sure the touch screen and touch screen sound are selected on the global settings page
- Click save and then close
- Reboot your computer
How do I turn the Touch Screen Display Back On?
Do you know that when you turn off the touch screen on your HP, it is important to know how to put it back on should in case you’ll need the feature? To do this, go to the Device Manager on your computer. Simply follow the steps in the methods above, but this time, look for a new ‘Enable device‘ option when selecting your touch screen from the list of Human Interface Devices.
To turn on your touch screen, select ‘enable device’, then, ‘yes’ to confirm your actions in any pop-up windows.
Does Turning Off the Touch Screen on an HP Laptop Improve Performance?
Turning off the touchscreen doesn’t quite improve the performance of your computer, but it provides extra speed if you have outdated hardware or feel slower when using graphics.
Read Also: How To Screenshot on Lenovo Laptop | Easy Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely not. Even if you turn it off, it will continue to work in the background of your computer or laptop. However, you may be eligible for additional benefits.
To turn back on the touch screen, follow the steps in the methods above, but this time, look for a new ‘Enable device‘ option when selecting your touch screen from the list of Human Interface Devices. Viola!
1. Navigate to the Device Manager menu of your laptop. …
2. Select Human Interface Devices.
3. Look for the HID-compliant touch screen and click to open it. …
4. Click Action to open the drop-down menu.
5. Select Disable Device.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
Open the Device Manager in Windows. Click the arrow to the left of the Human Interface Devices option in the list to expand and show the hardware devices under that section. Find and right-click the HID-compliant touch screen device in the list. Select the Disable device option in the pop-up menu.
1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand Human Interface Devices.
3. Select HID-compliant touch screen.
4. Click the Action tab on the top left.
5. Select Enable or Disable.
I hope you find this article really helpful, and whatever your reasons are for turning off the touchscreen on your HP laptop, you’ll find viable options. If you ever feel the need to turn the feature back on, there’s an option for you in this post on how you can do so.
- windowsdispatch.com – disable touch screen hp laptop
- hp.com – how to turn off touch screen
- bluedogink.com – disable touchscreen on hp devices
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [techqlik1(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.