Apple products have a closely knit ecosystem, and AirPlay is one way it shares and streams files from one device to another. You can transfer anything, including audio, video, photographs, and other files, from your device to another that is AirPlay compatible.
Whether you share these files from an Apple TV, Mac, or iPhone, this article will highlight how to turn off AirPlay across these devices.
Table of Contents
How Does AirPlay Function?
There are two ways that AirPlay identifies nearby devices. The first way is that all of your Apple devices connect to your router if you are using Apple Airport Express. There is no additional setup or hardware needed.
Alternatively, while connected to the same Wi-Fi network, compatible devices will identify each other. As long as your devices are all connected to the same Wi-Fi network, they’ll communicate.
What this simply means is that your Apple TV, AirPlay capable speakers, and every other Apple gadget you own will be detectable by your iPhone or iPad.
Where can I find the AirPlay Button on my iPhone?
You can find the AirPlay button in the app you use to cast media. This button is a rectangle with an arrow pointing upwards.
Usually, it is near the bottom of the app’s display.
Is it Possible to Uninstall AirPlay from my Phone?
Unfortunately, it is impossible to uninstall it as the closest thing close to deleting it is turning off AirPlay.
To turn off AirPlay;
- Open control center
- Select screen mirroring
- Tap screen mirroring to disable AirPlay on your iPhone.
How to Turn Off AirPlay | Step-by-Step Guide
How to Turn Off AirPlay on a macOS
On more recent Macs, you can turn off AirPlay by going to the control center. This indicator looks like two toggle bars and is located at the top right corner of your screen.
If an Apple TV or other device is close enough, you might also use AirPlay from the menu at the top of the screen. However, on older versions of Mac, you can access AirPlay by going to system preferences > displays.
Below is a general guide on how to turn off AirPlay on a Mac
- On a Mac, click the control center button at the top right corner
- Click the button for screen mirroring
- Select display preferences from the pop-up menu
- Select the turn-off AirPlay display option at the bottom of the built-in retina display window.
How to Turn Off AirPlay on an iPhone
There are several ways you can turn off AirPlay on your iPhone especially by switching the playback back to your iPhone rather than the device you are casting to.
Method #1: Using the Screen Mirroring feature in Control Center
You can disable Airplay on your iPhone via the control center if a video is playing on an Airplay-compatible device through your phone or if your iPhone’s screen is being mirrored onto another display.
Launch the control center to do this:
- Swipe downward from the upper right corner of the screen on iPhones 11,12, and 13.
- Swipe upward from the bottom edge of the screen on iPhone SE, 8,7,6, and earlier models.
So, here’s how to turn off the Airplay in this method.
- Find the Screen Mirroring option when the Control Center opens.
- It will show screen mirroring if AirPlay is in use.
- Tap on this Screen Mirroring tile in the Control Center to halt it.
- The device where the material is streaming should be visible in the overflow menu that appears
- Tap Stop Mirroring to disable AirPlay
- Immediately, the media should stop playing on the AirPlay-enabled device
Method #2: Using the Media player in Control Center
Did you know you can turn off AirPlay on your iPhone by using the media player in the control center to cast audio from your iPhone to an AirPlay device?
Launch the Control Center on your iPhone to do this:
- You can find the media player at the top right corner of the control center when it first opens
- This player displays the song or media title and the artist’s name
- The AirPlay icon should appear in blue if you’re streaming the media over AirPlay
- Tap on the AirPlay symbol to end it
- An overflow menu with the AirPlay device you are streaming to highlighted under Speakers &TVs should appear
- Choose iPhone from this overflow menu to disable AirPlay so that the media only plays on your device
You should see this: How To Disconnect Airpods From All Devices | Easy Fix
Method #3: Using the Apple Music App
You can disable the AirPlay from within the Apple Music app if you are already listening to something on it. Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Apple Music app and navigate to the playback screen
- You’ll see the iPhone AirPlay device beneath the symbol at the bottom ie if it is on
- Tap on the AirPlay symbol at the bottom to disable AirPlay inside Apple Music
- It will highlight your Airplay device in the overflow menu’s speakers and TVs section
- In this menu, tap iPhone to disable AirPlay
This should stop your iPhone’s content from being played on other devices using AirPlay.
How to Disable AirPlay on your iPad
Before you can disable this feature on your iPad, you must activate the control center. From the top-right corner of your iPhone X or an iPad running iOS 12, swipe downward.
Choose either the screen mirroring or the music widget. Tap the stop AirPlay or stop mirroring option to disable it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. To access the control center, you can swipe from the bottom of the screen. Select your device by tapping the AirPlay button in the top-left corner.
The iPhone AirPlay allows you to wirelessly play audio or video content on a compatible device.
Whether you’re using an iPhone or iPad, here’s how you can locate the AirPlay feature settings.
Go to Settings > Airplay
Launch the Settings app
You’ll see every device that can accept the connectivity under Available Devices
Tap on a device and choose it
There you have it! The several ways you can turn off Airplay on any of the Apple devices that you own. I hope you find them helpful.
- Businessinsider.com – how to turn off airplay screen sharing on your iPhone, ipad or mac/computer
- Howtosguru.com – how to turn off airplay on iphone
We Also Recommend
- How To Highlight Text In Pages For Mac
- How To Use Voice Isolation On iOS 15
- Inspect An Element On a Mac
- Can You Connect AirPods To Xbox One?
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [techqlik1(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.