HBO Max used to offer a student discount; however, it has discontinued its student discount. Thus, as of 2023, there isn’t any student discount for HBO Max. So, students must pay $14.99 monthly to use the streaming service.
HBO Max discontinued its student discount for some reasons. One of them was that the company wasn’t receiving enough demand for the service. Another is that the company now has other competitors that provide student dis9for streaming services (for example, Disney+ and Hulu.
Since HBO Max doesn’t offer a student discount anymore, students can still save money on the streaming service in a few ways. One of them is by sharing a subscription with family members and friends. Secondly, they can take advantage of HBO Max’s free trial.
In this blog post, we’ll explore everything you should know about the HBO Max student discount in 2023.
Table of Contents
What is HBO Max?
HBO Max, also known as Max, is an American subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) streaming service. It belongs to a division of Warner Bros. Discovery Global Streaming & Interactive Entertainment, a unit of Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD).
It was initially launched as HBO Max on May 27, 2020, and it offers content from the archives of Warner Bros., Discovery Channel, HBO, CNN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Animal Planet, Eurosport, and other affiliated brands.
Additionally, the service offers programming from the HBO pay television service, first-run original content under the “Max Originals” label, and content obtained through either third-party library deals (like those with movie studios for pay television rights) or co-production agreements (including, including those with Sesame Workshop and BBC Studios, and others).
Eligibility Requirements For The HBO Max Student Discount
Familiarizing yourself with the eligibility requirements is the first thing to do if you’re interested in the HBO Max student discount. HBO Max has particular criteria to qualify for the discounted subscription.
So, below are the eligibility requirements for the HBO Max student discount:
- Be a student currently enrolled in an accredited university or college in the US.
- You must be at least 18 years old. Although there is no particular age limit, some schools may have extra age requirements. So, verify with your institution first.
- The HBO Max student is available to students living in the United States. But its availability could differ based on location. Thus, we suggest you verify with your school or HBO Max to confirm if the discount is available in your area.
By meeting these criteria, you can enjoy the benefits of the HBO Max student discount and explore different entertainment options at a slashed price.
Now that you know how to qualify for the discount, let’s look at how to sign up and explore this opportunity.
How To Sign Up For HBO Max Student Discount
To sign up for the HBO Max student discount, follow these steps:
- Go to the HBO Max website (hbomax.com) and choose the Get Started option.
- Next, select the Student Discount option and verify your student status.
- After verifying your student status, you will be directed to a page to sign up for HBO Max with the student discount.
- Then, enter your payment details, and you’re good to go.
You must be a verified student to access the HBO Max discount.
HBO Max Subscription Plans And Prices
HBO Max, or Max, costs $16 monthly for ad-free streaming or $10 monthly for ad-supported streaming. Additionally, Max has another Ultimate ad-free plan that costs $20 monthly.
Therefore, subscribers can save up to 20% when they sign up for an annual subscription plan. Meanwhile, a yearly Ultimate plan is $200/year, an ad-free subscription plan is $150/year, and an ad-supported plan is $100/year.
In addition, HBO Max’s ad-supported plan offers HD streaming on up to two screens simultaneously with commercials. And the ad-free plan provides commercial-free HD streaming on up to two screens alongside support for 30 downloads.
Again, the Ultimate ad-free plan incorporates 4K support with 100 downloads and Dolby Atmos audio and enables you to stream on up to four screens simultaneously.
Below is a rundown of Max’s pricing and plans:
- With Ads – $9.99/month or $99.99/year (16% savings)
- Ad-Free – $15.99/month or $149.99/year (over 20% savings)
- Ultimate Ad-Free – $19.99/month or $199.99/year (over 16% savings)
Note that these prices do not include applicable taxes.
Benefits of HBO Max For Student Subscribers
As a student, subscribing to HBO Max comes with a trove of benefits that improves your entertainment experience without affecting your budget. Here are the significant benefits of being an HBO Max student subscriber:
- Access to various content. HBO Max has a massive library of TV shows, movies, and original programming. This encompasses popular shows such as Game of Thrones, Veep, and The Sopranos.
- The ability to stream on multiple devices. This streaming service allows you to stream on various devices, including TVs, computers, tablets, and smartphones. Thus, you can watch your favorite shows from anywhere, at any time.
- Ability to download content for offline viewing. HBO Max enables you to download content for offline viewing. Hence, it’s an excellent way to watch your favorite movies and TV shows on the go without an internet connection.
- Exclusive content. With HBO Max’s extensive library of exclusive content—original programming, blockbuster movies, and critically acclaimed TV shows, you can access several top-quality entertainment. These can help you unwind and relax in your spare time.
- Unlimited streaming. You can enjoy unlimited streaming of your best shows and movies. Therefore, you can catch up on the latest episodes or get into a binge-watching session whenever you deem fit.
- Access to HBO originals. HBO is famous for its excellent original programming. Hence, it brings them all to your fingertips. As a student subscriber, you can enjoy series like Succession, Westworld, Game of Thrones, and more. In addition to entertainment, these shows serve as cultural touchstones and spark intellectual conversations.
- Cost savings. This is one of the key benefits of being an HBO Max student subscriber. Since the service offers a reduced subscription fee, it becomes affordable for students on a budget. So you can enjoy premium entertainment without straining your budget.
Does HBO Max Offer a Student Discount in 2023?
No, HBO Max doesn’t offer a student discount in 2023. It was discontinued in 2022.
But other ways exist to save money on HBO Max and get a lower subscription price. Read further to find out!
Other Ways To Save Money On HBO Max
Since HBO Max does not offer a student discount in 2023, you can try these ways to save money on your subscription:
- Sign up for an annual subscription. HBO Max has a yearly subscription service that sometimes offers a discount. New and returning subscribers in the US can access this discount. And the discounted subscription will auto-renew the annual plan chosen at its present market price.
- Share your account with family or friends. HBO Max enables you to create different profiles on a single account. So, you can share your account with family or friends to save money on the cost.
- Take advantage of free trials. This streaming service offers free trials sometimes. And this is an excellent way to explore HBO Max before committing to a paid subscription.
- Use HBO Max through your cable provider. If you subscribed to HBO via your cable provider, you may qualify to get HBO Max for free. This is because many cable providers offer HBO Max among their standard packages.
- Free HBO Max with select AT&T plans. If you have an eligible AT&T plan, you can get a free year of HBO Max. This covers Internet 1000, Unlimited Elite (wireless), AT&T TV Now Max, U-verse U400, DirecTV Premier, U450, and AT&T TV Premier.
You can get FREE access to HBO GO if you live on campus. That’s 100% FREE access to all of HBO to binge anytime you prefer.
You may get free HBO Max via Samsung TV, Roku, Verizon Fios, and other cable or live TV streaming platforms.
There’s so much to love about Hulu, including its live TV add-on. However, HBO Max beats it with its superior originals, a better selection of films and TV shows, and an all-around better service.
Yes, Hulu has a student discount. Qualified college students can subscribe to Hulu’s ad-supported plan for $1.99 per month. So, you can stream your favorite shows between study breaks.
HBO Max is an excellent streaming service with an extensive library of various content, but it can be expensive. If you’re a student, you may be disappointed that HBO Max no longer offers a student discount. However, there are still other ways to save money on HBO Max.