Snapchat has many exciting surprises, but they aren’t all pleasant. One of the annoying things about Snapchat is not loading a picture or story on your chat screen.
For several reasons, your Snapchat may have issues loading images and may never appear on your screen. Luckily, there’s a way to fix a picture that’s not loading on Snapchat.
So if this is your current situation, you have nothing to worry about. This guide will help you solve the problem.
Why Isn’t Snapchat Loading Snaps or Stories?
Many things could make your Snapchat stop loading images or stories on your device. However, these issues vary depending on your device. But here are the most typical reasons Snapchat is not loading a story or picture on your chat screen:
- You’re using an outdated version of Snapchat.
- Too much Snapchat data or cache.
- Poor internet connection.
- You turned on your battery or data saver.
- The Snapchat server is down.
- Your device is slow.
- Disabled permission for Snapchat.
- Unsupportive images and videos.
How to Fix Snapchat Not Loading Snaps or Stories
If you notice that Snapchat has stopped loading a picture on your device, the following fixes could help you. You can try them out.
1. Check your internet connection
Sending and receiving messages, images, and videos on Snapchat require an internet connection. Sometimes, you may forget to connect to the internet before opening the app. When this happens, you will see the picture loading on the Snapchat chat screen, but it will not open.
So, before opening the Snapchat app, ensure you have an internet connection. You can as well switch between mobile data and Wi-Fi.
In addition to that, test your internet connection speed to ensure it’s fast enough. Here’s how to check your internet connection speed:
- Go to your desired web browser.
- Search for fast.com or myspeed.com
- Then click on Start to test your internet connection speed.
2. Restart your device
If you have a good internet connection and Snapchat is still not loading a picture, consider restarting your device. It might be the fix you need for Snapchat to start loading images.
In addition, a slow device could prevent Snapchat from loading a picture or story on your chat screen; the more reason you should restart your smartphone.
To get started, stop every task on your device and restart it. Afterward, tap the Snapchat app to open it.
3. Clear Snapchat cache
Snapchat’s cache is a small percentage of memory containing a copy of your Snapchat data. It stores information from Snapchat after downloading the app. When the cache gets full, it will result in some errors and issues in the app.
So, here’s how to clear Snapchat’s cache:
- Launch the Snapchat app.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Go to Account Action > Clear cache.
- To complete the process, click on Continue.
4. Enable permission for Snapchat
If your Snapchat is still not loading any images on the chat screen, check if you have enabled permission for Snapchat. Snapchat requires permissions like phone storage, locations, etc., to work effectively. So, if the permission for Snapchat is disabled on your device, then Snapchat cannot discover snapshots, scan Snapcodes, save certain content, and so on.
Whether you’re using an Android or iOS device, enable the Snapchat permission by doing the following:
- Open the Snapchat app on your device.
- Click on your Bitmoji icon on the upper left side of your screen.
- Next, locate the Settings icon at the top right edge of your screen.
- Go to the Privacy section and choose Permissions.
- Now, click “tap to enable” to enable the disabled permissions.
After doing this, exit the app. Then open it again to check if the issue is fixed. If it didn’t work, keep reading further to try other fixes.
5. Change your Wi-Fi DNS
If your internet connection is not the issue, maybe the problem is from your Wi-Fi Domain Name System (DNS). In that case, you have to adjust your nameserver to fix the problem.
To do this:
- Go to Settings on your device.
- Then navigate to the Wi-Fi section and click on it.
- Next, click on the Wi-Fi and select Advanced options.
- Go to the IP Settings area and switch from DHCP to Static.
- Locate the DNS1, delete or remove the original IP address and type in 184.108.40.206. Similarly, on DNS2, enter 8.8.44.
- Click to save changes.
6. Tell your friend to resend the pictures/snaps
If your Snapchat friend sends you a picture or snap and it’s not loading on your chat screen, you can tell the person to resend the images. Tell them to resend the pictures they sent before as you couldn’t load them.
Perhaps they were out of internet connection while sending you the snaps, or they encountered some Snapchat tap-to-download problem resulting in the issue you’re having. But if they send it the second time and it still doesn’t load, try other options to fix this problem.
7. Re-add your Snapchat friend(s)
Another option is removing and re-adding your Snapchat friend(s). This easy hack might help you. But note that this particular method will delete all your previously sent and received snaps.
So if you’re cool with that, here’s how to get started:
- Open Snapchat and tap on your profile (the Bitmoji icon) at the top left side of your screen.
- Go to Friends > My Friends.
- Now, choose the person(s) with whom you have issues loading their picture on Snapchat.
- Click on their Bitmoji icon.
- Then tap on the three-dotted line at the top right edge of their profile.
- You’ll see the Remove Friend option; tap on it.
- To confirm your actions, click on Remove.
After that, re-add those friends and test the issue again. If Snapchat is still not loading images and stories on your chat screen, check out other fixes.
8. Clear your conversation on Snapchat
Do you still have trouble accessing a specific conversation on Snapchat? Try clearing the conversation and starting afresh. To do this:
- Launch Snapchat and open Settings.
- Scroll down to locate Clear Conversation.
- Now, you’ll see all your conversations.
- You’ll see an X mark adjacent to each conversation. Tap on the X mark of any conversation(s) you wish to clear.
- Click on the Clear button to confirm your choices.
Note: This procedure will clear all your conversations, including unsaved snaps, pictures, and videos. Try the next option if this one doesn’t work.
9. Update your Snapchat app
Snapchat’s updates often fix bugs. Maybe you’re experiencing this problem because you’re using an outdated version of Snapchat. Therefore, do well to update the app frequently as new updates are released. Below is how to do it:
- Open Google Play Store on your device.
- Type Snapchat in the search bar.
- Go to the app info page.
- If there’s a pending app update, tap Update to download the latest version.
Hopefully, this should solve the problem.
10. Reinstall Snapchat
Have you tried all the fixes above and still facing the same issues? Don’t worry; this should be your final resort. Follow these steps to get started:
- First, uninstall the Snapchat app.
- Visit Google Play Store or App Store (depending on your device).
- Search for the most recent version of Snapchat. Then download and install it.
Doing this will fix the problem, and you can now load pictures and stories again.
Also Read: What Is Quick Add On Snapchat?
If you discover that your Snapchat app has stopped loading a picture on your chat screen, try out any or all of the fixes discussed in this article. And if you know any other solutions to this problem, please share them with us in the comments section. Was this article helpful to you? Tell us too.
FAQs on How to Fix Snapchat Not Loading Snaps or Stories
Snapchat keeps crashing because you’re using an outdated version. Continually update your Snapchat app for bug fixes.
Clearing the cache on Snapchat does not affect your saved pictures, videos, memories, and chats. It instead deletes thumbnail previews and other irrelevant data. But if the app later needs any of such data, it will download it again.
Press and hold power and home buttons simultaneously for about 10 to 20 seconds. Then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo.
- techcult.com – Fix Snapchat Won’t Load Stories
- gamerevolution.com – Snapchat Can’t Load Image | Snaps Stuck Loading Fix
- fixingguides.com – Snapchat Won’t Load Pictures in Chat and Stories [10 Methods to Fix]
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [techqlik1(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.