If you take a shot of an app on your Mac and want to cut out some parts, you will have to know how to crop a screenshot on Mac. You may be surprised but there are different ways to crop a screenshot on Mac. Yeah, you heard me right!
Taking screenshots on Mac takes just a simple process. It only requires that you capture your entire screen. But there are times you may want to edit or crop your screenshot to remove the unwanted part. Not so?
Well, the truth is, we’ve all at one point or the other tried to crop a screenshot on our device. So in this post, we’ll take you through how to crop a screenshot on Mac.
Table of Contents
Where Are Screenshots Saved On Mac?
Screenshots are automatically saved to your Mac desktop. But for Mojave or later, you can select several other places to save your screenshot.
If you take your screenshot with the Grab App (available in the early version of Mac OS), they might be saved somewhere else. With Grab, your screenshot will possibly be saved to the Documents folder.
Again, if you don’t customize the image file name, it will be saved as Untitled.
Shortcuts To Capture Screenshot On Mac
Before we proceed to know how to crop a screenshot on Mac, let’s quickly look at some shortcuts that you can use to capture screenshots on Mac.
Command + Shift + 3: When you press these keys together on your Mac, it will capture the full screenshot of your screen. This is quite similar to Windows “Print Screen” functionality.
Command + Shift + 4: When you use this combination, your Mac will capture a certain part of your screen.
Command + Shift + 5: Pressing this key combination will generate a screenshot toolbar on your screen. You can now use it to take screenshots.
Read Also: how to make Mac dark mode
How To Crop a Screenshot On Mac
After taking the screenshot, you can use any of the techniques below to crop a saved screenshot on Mac to enhance the image.
1. Thumbnail Method
The thumbnail method is one of the simplest ways to take a screenshot on a Mac.
- After taking the screenshot, you will be shown a thumbnail icon beside the image file. Simply click on it and choose the Crop button.
- Then you will be taken into the crop mode and you will see a rectangular shape in front of your image file.
- Now, drag any corner of your screenshot image to the proportion of your choice. The white region that you see on your screen is your saved content.
- When you’re done, tap anywhere on your screen. And your cropped image will be saved on your Mac desktop immediately.
2. Photos App
You can also crop a screenshot on Mac using Mac’s Photos App. The app has so many built-in tools that allow you to crop an image file.
- Find the screenshot file on your Desktop. Right-click on it and choose Open with Photos.
- When the file opens, click the Edit button at the upper right corner of the screen.
- In the menu bar, click on the Crop button.
- Now, drag the parts of the screenshot file to crop it. If you don’t like the new changes, just tap on Revert to Original to undo your last operation.
- Hit Done to save your cropped screenshot file.
3. Third-Party Tools
Yes, you can crop screenshots on a Mac using third-party tools. There are a lot of screenshot editing tools available online. You can download Skitch on your Mac.
With Skitch, you can crop a screenshot on your Mac. After downloading it on your Mac, open the app and follow the steps below.
- Click on the Arrow button beside the Screen snap button. To open your screenshot in the Skitch app, choose the Open an image or PDF button.
- Choose the Crop icon on the left toolbar.
- Drag the edges until you get your desired proportion. Then click on Apply.
- Navigate to File> Export. And your cropped screenshot will be saved.
You might want to learn how to connect your iPhone to Mac
How to Crop a Screenshot on Mac Preview
With Mac’s Preview app, you can still crop a screenshot. You know, the thumbnail icon vanishes a few seconds after taking a screenshot. And if you missed clicking it, you can still crop your screenshot on Preview.
Here’s what to do:
- Launch the Preview app on Mac. Scroll to get the screenshot file you wish to crop. Then open the file in Preview.
- Click on Show Markup Toolbar
- A rectangular shape will be displayed in front of your screenshot image. Drag the corner until you reach a suitable proportion.
- Choose the region you want to retain, then tap the Crop button to modify your screenshot image.
- On the other hand, just go to Tools> Crop to crop a screenshot on Mac.
- Click on the File menu and choose Save. Your cropped screenshot will be saved.
How to Crop a Screenshot On Mac Pro
If you use a Mac Pro, you’re not an exception. You can still crop a saved screenshot on your Mac Pro. Here’s how:
- After taking your screenshot, tap on the Crop icon (top right).
- Check the area of the screenshot image that you wish to retain. Then adjust the rectangle in which your screenshot is enclosed.
- Tap Done when you’re through.
Read Also: how to remove bookmarks on Mac
How to Crop a Screenshot on Mac Air
You can crop a screenshot on Mac Air using the built-in cropping tool. But if you don’t want to use that one, simply use the shortcuts to capture screenshots.
What To Do When Mac Screenshot is Not Working
If the screenshots you’re taking with your Mac are not showing on your desktop, it’s possibly because you mistakenly pressed the CTRL button at the same time.
Doing this will copy the screenshot to your pasteboard. If it’s not that simple, just open System Preferences> Keyboard> Shortcuts to ensure that shortcuts are turned on under screenshots.
It’s also possible that the regular shortcuts have been allotted to something else. Therefore, check to ensure that in System Preferences.
So these are a few ways to crop a screenshot on Mac. Cropping a screenshot enables you to take out the areas you don’t want.
Use whichever method you prefer to crop and save a screenshot on Mac. Which of the above methods do you prefer most? Let us know in the comments.
FAQs On How to Crop a Screenshot On Mac
If you’re using a Mac OS X device, you cannot crop screenshots as it doesn’t support it.
If this happened to you, it could mean that the software you used to take your screenshot blocked screenshots.
For instance, the Netflix app may not support screenshotting visuals.
To solve this problem, try taking the screenshot using different software.
Simply press and hold the control key while taking the screenshot. Then you can paste the screenshot elsewhere.
Asides from that, you can use the Universal clipboard to paste it onto another Apple device.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [techqlik1(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.