Your Epic Games’ name is the display name that your fellow players see when you’re playing with or against them, and you would want to change it into something you like.
Since this is how other gamers can identify you, you may consider changing it into something more straightforward. Or, if your current display name has a typo error, you should consider correcting it.
This guide will explain the practical steps to change your Epic Games display name. So, let’s get to it!
Table of Contents
What is An Epic Games Display Name?
Your epic games display name is the name that shows on your account (in an epic games title). It often shows on the Epic Games Launcher, their official forum, AnswerHub, and whenever you play any of their games on mobile, Switch, or PC/Mac.
If you only played on Console (Switch, Xbox, or PSN) and want to change the display name for your epic games account, you must upgrade your account to a full epic games account. However, you can only change your display name once every two weeks.
Why You Might Want To Change Your Display Name
You may want to change your display name on epic games for several reasons. Below are some potential reasons:
- You have a new nickname. You may have been bearing a new nickname lately and want to bear the same name on your epic games account. This might make you update your name on the epic games platform.
- You made a typo error when you initially created your account. This can happen to anyone. If you mistakenly typed an incorrect or misspelled display name when creating your account, you can change it to the correct one.
- You want to change your name for branding reasons. If you’re a YouTuber or own a personal/business brand, you may wish to change your display name to align with your brand.
- Privacy reasons. If you want to hide your identity, you may consider changing your display name to something that will not show your true identity.
Why is My Display Name Different When Playing on a Console?
When you change your Epic games display name, it doesn’t affect your Xbox or PSN display names or Gamertags. Thus, your display name in the game may vary based on the console platform you’re playing on.
But if you want to change your Xbox Gamertag or PSN ID, you must update it directly on the platform’s website.
How To Change Your Epic Games Name
The simplest way to change your epic games name is to do it through the epic games official website. And remember that you can only change your name once in every two weeks. So, if you don’t like your display name anymore, you can change it since epic games always roll out new social features.
Meanwhile, the steps below will guide you to change your display name.
- Go to your account’s account info webpage.
- Tap the pencil icon beside your display name.
- Enter your preferred display name.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click Save Changes.
Tips For Choosing a New Epic Games Display Name
Here are some bonus tips for choosing a new display name:
- Keep it short and simple. Ensure it is short and easy to remember.
- Be creative around it. Your display name is an excellent way to be expressive and show your creativity.
- Choose something you would like for a long time. Since your display name will appear across all epic games’ services, it is essential to pick a name that you would enjoy for a long time.
- Don’t use inappropriate or offensive language. Epic Games has strict policies against using inappropriate and offensive language. So, if the name you pick violates these policies, your account will likely be suspended.
Changing your display name on epic games is a straightforward process and will only take a few minutes. And this guide explains the entire process. After confirming your new name, it will be applied to your account.
Meanwhile, you can only change your display name once in two weeks. If you try changing your name more frequently than this, you will get an error message. After changing your display name, ensure you use it wherever you play games on Epic Games so that your friends and other players will find you easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Epic Games made it free to change your name in Fortnite (on PC), mobile, and Nintendo Switch. Moreover, it is quite simple too. The only disadvantage is that you can only do it once every two weeks. Therefore, you should pick wisely.
If you discover an automatic reset in your name, it means Epic changed your name. And this is because you’ve infringed on one of its guidelines.
Your Epic Account ID is an identifier uniquely for your Epic Games account. Unlike your account display name, you cannot change your Epic Account ID and other users cannot see it.
Using a fake name for epic games is not bad. However, committing fraud or crimes under that name is illegal.
Changing your Fortnite name is easy if you play on your PC. Additionally, it is free on Epic Games’ official website.