When people message you on Instagram, there is this feeling from those who send you messages want to get an immediate response from you. And, as social media becomes an integral part of our daily lives, the need to keep your online privacy becomes more of a requirement.
When your reply doesn’t come, your folks could misinterpret it in the negative especially if they find out from the app’s read receipt feature that you’ve seen their messages.
However, if you want no one spying on you whether you’ve read their message, this article on how to turn off read receipts on Instagram may be for you.
However, there’s only one question you must ask; is it possible to turn off read receipts on Instagram? Let’s find out!
What is Instagram Read Receipts?
You’ve probably noticed the ‘seen’ indicator on your direct messages if you’re an Instagram user who sends direct messages to friends and family and checks if your messages have been delivered.
These indicators are basically Instagram-read receipts that show your conversation partner has received and read your message. The same indicator alerts you the very moment your friend has viewed your Instagram message.
What Are Read Receipts Used For?
Read receipts are very important for communication, especially in instant messaging. They serve as a notification to the sender that you have read their communication.
To avoid receiving read receipts, many users, however, prefer to turn off this feature or read their direct messages while offline. If you choose not to respond, you can call the other individual.
How Can I Turn Off Instagram’s Read Receipts?
Instagram’s Read Receipts feature cannot be disabled. But, you can read your messages while offline as a cheat code. All you need to do is turn on your Airplane Mode or disconnect from the internet before ending your messages to prevent Instagram from displaying read receipts.
This way, the sender will be unaware that you have read their messages. Sometimes, your device could decide to connect to Wi-Fi on its own. Tap the Airplane Mode button by swiping downwards from the top of the screen.
After that, reading your Instagram messages is secure and won’t show in read receipts.
How can I turn off my Instagram Read Receipts?
Follow the steps listed below to find out how going offline can facilitate turning off your read receipts and prevent your Instagram friends from knowing you have read their messages.
#1. Online Absence
Going offline is one way and, perhaps, the most practical to turn off Instagram’s read receipts making no other changes to your account. Here’s how.
- Avoid taking the Instagram message notification that displays on your phone. By doing so, the said communication will be opened, and the seen receipt will become visible.
- Start Instagram and select the Messenger icon from the Home page
- Refresh your Instagram inbox. Swipe down from the top of your phone’s screen after the messages have landed to cut off the internet.
- Continue reading after disconnecting from your internet connection
#2. Activating Airplane Mode
Did you know you can also use your phone’s airline mode to view messages on Instagram without read receipts showing? Technically, activating airline mode is equals disconnecting from the internet, and to be safe, you can combine this trick with turning off your phone’s internet connection. After all, your phone occasionally has a mind of its own to want to connect t the WiFi without being given a prompt to follow.
In trying this technique, you can follow the steps below.
- Open Instagram and select messenger in the upper right center of the Home Page
- After seeing your message inbox, slide down from the top of your phone to see the Notifications bar.
- Tap the Airplane Mode button on the Notifications bar to get it activated.
- Your phone will immediately disconnect from the internet server because of this.
- Return to your inbox and tap on a message to view it after turning on Airplane Mode. Remember that after you reconnect to the server, the read receipt will display.
#3. Turning Off Message Notifications
Before you consider employing this option of turning off your Instagram read receipt, remember turning off message notifications can help you avoid opening a message unintentionally and starting a read receipt. Here are the steps to follow.
- Open the Instagram app and select the profile icon
- Press the hamburger menu once on the rifle page to select it. A menu will show up from under the phone’s display
- Select Settings
- Tap the Notifications option on the settings screen
- Find the messages section n the Notifications Page
- Look for the messages and message requests choices under messages and calls
When you select off by clicking the circles next to it. After that, message request alerts won’t show up on your phone anymore, keeping you from unintentionally opening a message.
#4. Specify Instagram Users Only
Although this might not be the best option to apply, restricting a user helps you accomplish the goal of turning off read receipts on Instagram. Restricted users must, however, request your permission before sending you direct messages, allowing you to read them, and giving access.
Therefore, if you feel this approach tickles your fancy, you can follow the steps below:
- Once you’ve launched Instagram and logged in, hit the Search icon on the Home Page. Type your username into the box that pops up.
- When you’re on the profile page for the user, look to the top right and push
- Select restrict from the menu
- You will receive a pop-up notification that you’ve restricted a particular Instagram user
It is expedient to note that there are restrictions on how many IG accounts you may restrict. So, be careful while you have resolved that this option works best for you.
However, if you still don’t like this approach, you might have to adopt the final approach listed below.
See Also: The 360 Best Instagram Captions of 2022
#5. Turning Off Message Notifications
Disabling message notifications can assist you to avoid starting a read receipt and unintentionally opening a message. To follow this option, you must go through the steps below.
- Open the Instagram app and select the Profile icon
- Press the hamburger menu once on the Profile page to select it
- Select Settings
- Tap the Notifications option on the Settings screen
- Find the Messages section on the Notifications page
- Look for the Messages and Message requests choices under Messages and Calls.
- Select Off by clicking the circles next to it.
How else can I turn off my Instagram’s Read Receipt?
Instagram has made it difficult for everyone to read messages secretly! But if you want to know how to disable read receipts on Instagram for iPhone or Android without blocking users or shutting off your internet, you can use some programs that will help you filter your recipients and improve the quality f your communication with folks.
This will only be possible if you follow the instructions that come with using them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Instagram read receipts are important because they let the sender know that you received, read, and acknowledged their message.
Instagram does not have a button that disables read receipts, so you cannot do so. Instead, you can turn off activity status, stop message notifications, put your phone in airplane mode, disengage from the internet, and restrict access to certain IG users.
To make your Instagram active status inactive, you must first tap the kebab menu on your profile page in order to disable or deactivate your active status n Instagram. Before you tap the toggle once to disable show activity status, press Settings> Privacy and Activity Status.
Above are the ways you can go about turning off your Instagram’s read receipt. Now that a plethora of them are all lined out, which do you think will be more convenient for you to use?
- 9 Ways to Fix Add Yours Sticker Not Working on Instagram
- How to Unread Messages on Instagram | Easy Steps
- How to See Who Someone Recently Followed on Instagram
- What Does KMS Mean on Snapchat? Slang Definition & Usage
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [techqlik1(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.